Vacancy – Trust Appointed Governor – Bassingbourn Village College BVC Trust Governor Further Information March 2018
Trust Appointed Governor – Bassingbourn Village College
Anglia Learning Multi-Academy Trust is looking to appoint a governor to the Local Governing Body of Bassingbourn Village College.BVC is an excellent school with a strong positive ethos. In 2017 the College achieved a “Good” rating from Ofsted, who described BVC as a great school built upon strong relationships. Ofsted noted in particular the safe and inclusive atmosphere, where good behaviour is a strength and supports learning well.Governors are responsible for providing strategic leadership and accountability in schools. They help to decide the priorities for improving the school and work in partnership with the headteacher, senior leadership team and other governors to raise standards and improve outcomes for all students. Our Trust governors are very valuable members of the governing body and we rely on them to provide us with the skills and experience we need to function effectively. These include understanding and/or experience of governance and strategic planning, communication skills including being able to discuss sensitive issues tactfully, and ability to analyse and understand data. Being a school governor also requires a time commitment that includes attending meetings and events inside and outside of school, and reading and commenting on documents outside of meetings. You will also be required to attend training courses and termly briefings outside of school.Knowledge of the workings of a school/academy governing body would be helpful but is by no means essential.
If you have time to commit to this role we would like you to consider becoming a Trust governor at BVC.
The term of office for a Trust governor is four years; this will start from September 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Closing date for receipt of expressions of interest: 8 June 2018.
Anyone who is interested in becoming a Trust governor should contact Prof. Steve Morris, the Chair of the Local Governing Body, by email: SMorris@bassingbournvc.net.
Bassingbourn Village College is a member of the Anglian Learning multi academy trust, working with like-minded schools, leaders and teachers, to make a difference to the lives of our young people.
Bassingbourn Village College is fortunate to be served by a forward looking and proactive governing body whose key roles can be summarised as follows:
- To provide a strategic view of where the school is heading. This is achieved by reviewing policies and deciding the priorities for improvement to be included in the school improvement plan.
- To act as a critical friend to the school. A critical friend offers support, constructive advice, a sounding board for ideas, a second opinion on proposals and help where needed. But a critical friend may also challenge, ask questions, seek information, improve proposals and seek to arrive at the best solution for all concerned.
- To hold the school to account for the educational standards it achieves and the quality of education it provides. Setting targets for the school to achieve in light of national and local targets and then formally evaluating outcomes lie at the heart of this aspect of the governing body’s role.
- The responsibilities have to exercise in partnership with the Principal and staff.
- Governors should not intervene in the day-to-day running of the school.
- When there are weaknesses in the school they have a duty to take action.
BVC Governors have introduced a series of measures intended to enhance communications between the Governing Body and members of Bassingbourn Village College and community. These measures include:
- Publication of Full Governing Body Meeting Agendas one week prior to meetings.
- Publication of agreed Minutes of those meetings.
- Summaries of Committee meetings published in the Heron.
- An invitation to parents/carers to email Governors with questions or concerns they may have in relation to the work of Governing Body. Please email email@example.com contact our Governing Body.
- A Governor presence at College Parent Consultation Evenings and Parents in Partnership Evenings, enabling you to meet with us should you wish to do so.
- We would like to encourage feedback from parents and carers. We greatly value your contribution, and are keen to work with you in support of a caring and thriving college community.
Current membership of the governing body is as follows: To contact our Governing Body by email, please use the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org For details of agenda items for discussion at the upcoming Full Governing Body meetings, please see the tab opposite.
|Staff Governors (inc. Headteacher)
|Mr D Cooper (Principal)
|Mrs R Dix-Pincott
|Mr P Bolton
|Professor S Morris (Chair)
|Mr J Lievesley
|Mr S Lambert
|Trust Appointed Governors
|Mr K Murphy
|Mr C Roope
|Mr G Lynn
|Mr D Chetty
|Mrs A Butterworth
|Clerk to the Governing Body
|Mrs S Smith
To view the Governing Body composition and attendance at meetings either view the page: Governing Body composition and information, or download in PDF format :